Sign in to follow this  
Rina

Rose, Thorn, and Bud

Hey everyone! I want to invite you all to try one of my favorite mindfulness exercises: Rose, Thorn, and Bud.

We use this at summer camp a lot as a bunk talk activity, to let our campers reflect and share about their day. The exercise is simple enough. Just ask yourself these three things:

• Rose - What was the highlight of your day today?

• Thorn - What was one thing that didn't go as well as you'd like today?

• Bud - What is something you're looking forward to tomorrow?

I really love RTB, and use it myself for reflection and refocusing on positive things going on in my life (without trying to ignore the negative). And making myself find something good, and focus on something I'm looking forward to helps me be positive and grateful even on the terrible, awful, no-good, very bad days.

If you like this, feel free to use it for yourself!

Here's one of mine from earlier this week:
Rose: I had a really good performance coaching session with my supervisors! They had very nice things to say, and we agreed on where my growth areas are and it just went really well.
Thorn: I had a ticket to fix one of our test environments, and it took a really long time and was blocking other people's work for most of the day... That was a lot of pressure.
Bud: After years of saying "I think I want to get a tattoo," I've started talking with a studio about getting a tattoo! And I'm really excited! I've got a design picked out and everything, and I found a studio with work that I really like!

Rose: I slept for like 18 hours and feel less tired. also have Cream of Wheat which is my favorite warm food.

Thorn: Had a Seziure. so yeah.

Bud: One of my VA's is sending me their lines for the next episode soon, so i can edit it and be done.

Rose: I'm currently on Skype with my boyfriend, and I just love chatting to him.

Thorn: I've been absolutely exhausted today, so haven't got much done

Bud: I'm looking forward to choir rehearsal tomorrow

Rose: I feel healthy again! I caught gastroenteritis on Monday suddenly and haven't been that sick in years. Feels great to feel great again.

Thorn: I missed the last big Wolf 359 AMA, which I always love hosting :(

Bud: Looking forward to putting together a trailer for the new Focused AF podcast launch!

• Like 1

• Rose - I am finally listening to focused.af, and dancing while packing, surprisingly, made me feel better.

• Thorn - I didn't really eat anything consistant because I was too busy, well, packing my stuff and worrying about being able to carry it all tomorrow. Also worrying about moving out from my friend's place to crash at this other friend's place and scared to share a space with someone for the first time in months.

• Bud - I am looking forward to be done with the moving, and socialize a bit with the friend I'm gonna be staying at, which is something my therapist really wants me to do, given my tendencies to retrieve away from the world during depressive episodes. 
  • Thanks 1

• Rose: I'm actively interacting with fnas of my show, which is awesome.
  • Thorn: My body really wants salt. Like, really bad... i think i'm having a bad reaction to my new meds.
  • bud: I'm about 3 hours away from polishing off one more episode of my show

• Rose:  I put some air in my back bike tire today so it only took me half as long to bike home from work.
  • Thorn:  I procrastinated drawing again.
  • Bun:  I really want to draw this screenshot with 2 specific characters as a warm-up tomorrow.

• Rose - Baking with Zach Libresco was fun AF!
  • Thorn - I feel badly that we got started so much later than planned. Will have to plan to pre-record any wacky experiments like baking to avoid that in the future.
  • Bud - One of my best friends is looking into apartments for us to move into and we think we may have found a place that would let me take my content creation to unprecedented new heights....
  • Like 1

• Rose - I did nothing at all today. Which is something I never do -- i literally played Minecraft all day and it was Zen as Fuck.
  • Thorn - I feel bad because i honestly should've been writing. but hey, writers block is horrible and i feel like it helped me get over it.
  • Bud - I only have a 3 day work week this week!
  • Like 1

• Rose - I JUST GOT PAID! Like a big check I've been waiting for for a few months. And it feels good *dances*.... Also just got a frigging huge lighting kit I may or may not keep for making YouTube videos.
  • Thorn - I realized my taxes are due in March and not April on account of my LLC. Tax time ≠ favorite time.
  • Bud - I'M OFFICIALLY MOVING AND IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME! It's hilariously close to where I already live, a fair amount bigger and better suited for media production (quieter, etc.), and it's less expensive.

• Rose: I got to have a chat with Zach and Gabriel which is always fun.
  • Thorn: I thought about outlining my script all day, but didn't actually do it (Guh!).
  • Bud: I'm planning on signing up for a scriptwriting course online which will help keep me motivated to actually write. 
  • Like 1

• Rose - Wearing my roommate's hoodie while going to do my laundry in what turned out to be a cozy and classy laundromat. Definitely going to bring a book next time.

• Thorn - Going. To Do. The Laundry. And motivating myself to do that in the first place. 

• Bud - Looking forward to seeing my friend again, and to watch SCS. I also ordered a new and honestly cheap graphic tablet and I won't get it before next week but I'm so excited! I've had mine since high school and it's time for a change, especially now that I'm working freelance. 
  • Like 1

• Rose:  In early February of last year, I was hanging out with a friend who told me about a story that she'd been messing around with in her head since eighth grade. We spent several hours talking about four characters, and the situation that they had just found themselves in. She expressed some difficulty she was having with creating it, and I offered to help her.
    That was just over one year ago.
    Coincidentally, I hung out with her yesterday too, and we talked through a lot of the plot. We hit several breakthroughs on the premise of the universe that all of this takes place in, as well as a few major plot twists and character backstories. Every time we hit these breakthroughs, I feel much more motivated to work on it!
  • Thorn: I keep putting off writing an email to my English teacher. I really need to do that...
  • Bud: My cousin and her girlfriend are visiting for Mardi Gras, and will be getting in later today! I'm so excited to see them!
  • Like 1

Rose: I saw Black Panther and it was lit! Such a great movie I highly recommend it.

Thorn: I've been taking this scriptwriting course and a lot of my classmates have been really harsh on my work. I try to take the criticism in stride but it has me doubting my abilities. 

Bud: My sister and I are gonna hang out Friday and I hardly get to see her so that will be fun.

• Like 1

Rose: All my actors sent in there lines, i can start production again!

Thorn: My back is killing me from working out of a hotel office chair for the past week.

Bud: Moving into an amazing Apartment on the Hudson tomorrow!

• Like 1

Rose:  I managed to finish a page I was working on within the 4 day limit I had given myself without cutting corners.  I feel victorious!

Thorn:  Work evaluations are going around and I always get paranoid that every little detail that I miss makes me disposable.  Gotta work on the anxiety.

Bud:  Tomorrow I'll be starting my next page, this time with a 3 day limit since 2 of those days are weekend days.  I'm hopeful that this time limit is just as viable as the 4 week day limit so that I can combine the 2 limits and create a steady 2 pages a week.

• Like 1

Rose: I had an amazing meditation retreat yesterday that's re-inspired me in a bunch of ways.

Thorn: Work stuff is making my schedule unpredictable with potential travel.

Bud: I'm really looking forward to releasing episode 2 of Focused AF!

On 3/31/2018 at 7:58 PM, Gmz1023 said:

Rose: All my actors sent in there lines, i can start production again!

Thorn: My back is killing me from working out of a hotel office chair for the past week.

Bud: Moving into an amazing Apartment on the Hudson tomorrow!

Yo man! Super belated congratulations on the move!! I just got on the other side of mine. Not a fan of the whole moving part, myself. But great new places are very exciting.

28 minutes ago, Zach Valenti said:

Yo man! Super belated congratulations on the move!! I just got on the other side of mine. Not a fan of the whole moving part, myself. But great new places are very exciting.

Congrats on your move as well.

I'm just glad the weather held out -- it was supposed to be super crappy the other day; snow and all that. but its been a nice 40-50 all week!